Another bathroom makeover…

This bathroom in a victorian terraced house was long overdue a makeover. New window roof velux added, sub-floor repaired and made good for tiling, new fan and tilting down-lighters to come… new bathroom suite and tiling all round… Plumbing by Jules Jones @really good plumbing, electrical Nick Clarke…

Garden gate

…. Had a new metal gate made to replace the timber gate which was a bit crap as you can see.

The cat has decided to be the security guard…

New bathroom…

… Small bathroom in a victorian terraced house was very much in need of re-doing. Walls were all stripped, new moisture board fitted, new ceiling and skimming. All new bathroom suite, Karndean floor, skirting board, wall tiling, extractor fan, shaver socket and heated towel radiator. All done within ten days as this was the only bathroom in the house… Now ready for finishing decorating and family use!

 

 

New extension starts…

Build in progress. Timber-framed extension. To be finished externally with quartz-zinc roof and K-rend walls, black aluminium windows and sliding doors…

Concrete now in, level shuttering as guide for the pour…

Steels now in place under the burning sun… Thanks to Dave Currell (07774 985685 or 01865 875398) for his fabrication and welding work. The two of us fitted them on site this week.

foundation brickwork – mortar dyed to match engineering bricks as they’ll be see above ground… ready for timber wall construction…

Timber frame going up…

Zinc roofing and roof lights now finished, concealed box guttering underway…

Restoration of gypsy caravan…

‘Reckoned to be dating from the 50s… The caravan is in a bit of state and needs quite a bit of work – making new steps, replacing numerous carved timber details,┬ástrengthening and then repainting by ‘Local Ladies’ decorating team Emma and Lekky… Watch this space…

New timber work and detailing complete and primed – ready for the painters to do their thing…

 

sunken doormat…

The client wanted a doormat sunk to the existing hall-way floor level before the floor is sanded back… The existing boards were lifted and new timber fillets packed and fixed between the joists to provide a good strong floor and support…

 

roof and chimney renovations…

This terraced property had a few water leaks coming from broken and failed roof slates, failed lead flashing and eroded mortar on the ridge tiles. Also as the chimneys are not in use they need vent-capping and re-mortaring to halt rising damp internally. Scaffolding was needed for safe access.

Before pictures…

a lot of water erosion here!

Chimney needs re-pointing – note new vent caps in place… Most of the mortar holding the pots in place had eroded and needed re-doing too.

And after…

 

new lead-work.

ridge-tiles re-set in new mortar

The old mortar was marked ‘1967’ so now it has beed updated – should last another 50 years at least!

 

 

tv cupboard unit

This cabinet unit was made using a solid beech worktop offset and left-over end panels from a kitchen fit I did. ┬áThe skirting board was milled up to match the existing too…

new renovation project

Nice Edwardian property begins the change back from HMO to family home. Starting with removing internal block wall and doorframe that spoilt the original hallway.

Before

After…

Built-to-last log shed

Using easy pads for quick footings & support for the timber frame, single ply roof membrane, water butt to collect for the garden and chocolate composite decking that won’t rot as the logs pile up over the years ahead…

My son Otto on work experience with me cutting mesh to divide the log-shed for different logs…

 

 

Solid wood worktop renovations…

Three original beech worktops brought back to life – sanded, filled, oil and sealed. Plus a new sink, taps and worktop replaced the rotten one. Plumbing and pipe wrangling by Jules Jones at Really Good Plumbing company…

Before and after pictures…

Fitted wardrobes & under-stairs storage…

… You can never have enough places to put stuff!… The existing eaves access were blocked up and a new side access built – so the new wardrobe could be built…

Before and after pictures…

Making use of the space under the stairs…

kitchen floor

Having fitted the kitchen, I’ve now finished it off by laying a bleached-oak engineered floor – over a decent underlay on top of the original un-loved tiles. It was more cost effective (and much less painful!) to lay the floor over the existing tiles as they would have taken considerable time and hassle to get up – so timber beading will cover the expansion gap at the edges…

French-doors

These new doors open into the ‘light well’ of a terraced house in East Oxford… Fitted with nice flush bolts on each door and a 5-lever deadlock to the master door to keep the insurance company happy…

Kitchen makeover time…

… Had a bit of a run of kitchens recently – with this one the customer decided to update the existing one rather than completely strip it out. Though in hindsight it probably caused a bit more work than if we’d started from scratch. The main thing is that they are very pleased with the outcome…

The work involved moving white goods, fitting one new cabinet, then fitting all new doors and drawer fronts, end panels, cornices, pelmets and kick plates, new solid beech worktops and sink, new boiler and integrated dishwasher and finishing it with the charcoal backboard and glass splash back…

THIS IS BEFORE

THIS IS AFTER…

THE OTHER SIDE’ BEFORE

AFTER

And next I’ll be fitting a new oak engineered floor…